How much is the adoption fee?
GALT’s non-refundable adoption fee is $550 for all greyhounds under 8 years, and $450 for greyhounds age 8 and up. Your $75 application deposit is applied to the adoption fee at the time of the adoption. The method of payment for the balance of the adoption fee is check, cash or credit card.
Why does GALT require an adoption deposit?
The $75 adoption application deposit ensures that you are serious in your desire to adopt a greyhound. We spend a lot of effort checking references and vet records. $25 of the $75 is non-refundable as it goes to cover the administrative costs of processing your application. The $75 will be applied to your adoption fee at the time of adoption.
What standard medical care does GALT provide before adoption?
GALT has high standards for the health and welfare of our greyhounds. GALT’s average medical cost per greyhound is well over $750 and includes the following:
- Blood work: CBC (complete blood count) with serum chemistry panel
- Heartworm test (and treatment if necessary) until negative results achieved
- Fecal test (and treatment if necessary) until negative results achieved
- Tick-borne disease panel by Protatek Lab and treatment as necessary (detects Ehrlichia canis, Babesia canis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Lyme)
- Spay or neuter
- Microchip implanted and registered with the provider
- Dental cleaning and extractions as needed
- All vaccinations, including DHLPP, Rabies, Canine Flu, and Bordetella
- Monthly heartworm preventative and flea/tick preventative
What will I get when I adopt a greyhound from GALT?
- One greyhound who is as healthy as we can make him or her!
- A full set of medical records for the time that greyhound has been in GALT’s care.
- Rabies certificate and tag.
- A printout of his or her pedigree and racing record if applicable.
- Microchip number and tag, and registration with the provider.
- Martingale collar, 4′ leash, and a basket muzzle. A belly band if your new greyhound is male.
- GALT tag with ID number and phone number.
- Dental-care start-up kit.
- Post-adoption follow-up support.
- Greyhound-related information packet.
If I've adopted from GALT before do I need to fill out the application again?
Anyone interested in adoption should complete the online application and submit the deposit. This will result in your name being added to the current potential adopters listing. If you are interested in a specific dog, please add that to the application so your preferences can be noted by our adoption coordinators.
Will GALT adopt to an out-of-town or out-of-state applicant?
Yes, GALT will and has adopted to out-of-town and out-of-state applicants. We do require that a home check be completed and we will work with volunteers in your area to accomplish this. Additionally, we require the applicant to come to Dallas to pick up their greyhound and complete the adoption.
How long does the application approval process take?
Keep in mind that GALT relies on volunteers to process applications. Applications are reviewed in the order that they are submitted. If our volunteers are able to easily reach your references, the preliminary approval can usually be obtained within a week. The second step of the approval process is to narrow down your preferences for your new hound and coordinate a home check.
If you are looking to adopt a greyhound who will be an only dog or one who can live with cats, please be advised that we have a waiting list of applications for these conditions and it can take quite a bit longer to find and match you with a suitable greyhound.
Have more questions?